Thursday, March 14, 2013

Beautiful Creatures


In the midst of all this poetry research we have been assigned to do in the past several weeks, I have been trying to keep up on the book I am currently reading. My sister ordered the book Beautiful Creatures from amazon and I snatched it up first because I knew I would finish much quicker then she would. As most people know, this book has recently been turned into a movie and I can totally see why; it's amazing!! This book is written by authors Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, the book is also the first in the series called Caster Chronicles. I finished the book and went and saw the movie this past weekend, once again the book was so much better. Set in South Carolina, the novel is from the point of view of Ethan Wate who keeps having reoccurring dreams about this mystery girl. Later in the novel, he meets Lena Ravenwood who is commonly referred to as "Old Man Ravenwood's niece". Once the two of them meet, they form a friendship instantly and become much more than just friends. Something that I love about this book is that it mocks the phrase "I love you to death" because in reality love and death are the main purpose of this novel. Ever since I started middle school, I have always reached for books that are about fantasy, romantic stories. Maybe it’s because I have a lack of romance in my life or maybe it’s because I have always wished that magic and true power were more than what I read on the pages of countless books. Later within in the novel, Ethan finds out what Lena really is; a caster. So basically, she is a witch. And on her sixteenth birthday she will either be claimed for the light or the dark (creepy I know) but Lena is determined to keep herself good and go towards the light. And more importantly, she wants to stay as good as she can for Ethan. Another phrase that I have also associated with this novel is "love conquers all" which is determined by the ending. But obviously I'm not going to tell you the ending because I want everyone to read this book and enjoy it just as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment