Monday, January 7, 2013

The Last Song

Over the weekend, I watched a movie called The Last Song which is a recreation of Nicholas Sparks' novel. After the movie was over and I finished drying my tears, I realized something. Why are his books able to make me feel like emotional? For the most part I think it is because I am a girl, but I also think it's because Nicholas Sparks is able to express the raw emotion that one would feel when put into the situations he creates. As I said the movie was based off a book, and I did in fact read the book before I went and saw the movie. I don't know why, but I always prefer reading the book first and then viewing the movie. Which, now that I think about it, is kind of dumb because if the book is great and the movie stinks. My expectations have been let down and I probably will just not like the movie/book at all. But with all of Nicholas Sparks' books, I always love the book and the movie equally. In all of his books I have read (The Last Song, The Notebook, Dear John, Safe Haven, The Lucky One) the movies always bring me to tears just like the books do. If you did not know, all of his books revolve around a love story that should not happen and somebody always dies as well (depressing, I know). But the reason I love the book The Last Song so much is because I feel everything he wants the reader to feel. He wants me to feel joy when Ronnie and Will fall in love, and he wants me to feel pain when you find out that Ronnie's father (who she doesn't get along with) is diagnosed with cancer. Right up until the last page of the novel, I can truly feel what Ronnie is going through and understand the heart ache and the disappointment she feels. Not many books do this to me might I add. To boys, these books and movies are just dumb chick flicks that feed their needy souls on finding love, but to a girl they are so much more. All of Nicholas Sparks' books show human emotion not just a girl's emotion. He allows the reader, whether the reader is male or female, to understand what it feels like to go through so much pain and hurt, that is the true reason why we cry when reading or watching the movie.

1 comment:

  1. you need to write about a book you like next--talk to me about choices.

    ReplyDelete