Thursday, October 18, 2012

A Modern Prometheus


I feel like I always go back to Frankenstein whenever I get the chance, but I just can't help it. This novel just gives me so much to talk about, all the time. Mary Shelley does an excellent job of not only writing the first horror novel, but combining the doppelganger motif in showing the similarities between Victor Frankenstein and his creature. To summarize the relationship between these two individuals I would have to say that they are two minds, sharing one body. Don't take into a literal statement, I mean it in a metaphorical sense. Victor and the creature are more a like then they are different. Yes one is human and one is classified as the 'living dead' but what intrigues me the most is that Victor is really looking in mirror at his inner self and he doesn't even realize it. Victor starts the novel as being this well respected scientist that just a hunger for knowledge and discovery. But after his mother dies, something definitely snaps inside of Victor and his hunger for knowledge leads him down a path that he can recover from. Once the creature is created, Victor automatically regrets what he has done and abandons his son. This is most certainly mistake number one. All the creature wants his for his father (Victor) to accept, love and teach him. But the creature is forced to go into hiding and teach himself how to live in this crazy world. What the reader will notice by the end of the story is the drastic change between these two characters general personality. Victor goes from being a very sane, respected man to someone that everyone is kind of afraid of and doesn't want to trust anymore. While as the creature is climbing up the intellectual ladder with his increased hunger for knowledge and to learn. I don't think anybody understands why Mary Shelley wrote the novel like this, but it makes for an even more interesting novel that has something for everyone. Another key fact about this book is that Mary Shelley wrote it in the context of a story within a story within a story. Robert Walton's story telling is a very important part because the reader is able to see two perspectives of the story. How it is being told by someone else and how the actual person is feeling during the situation. My absolute favorite section in the book is when you are inside of the creature's head. It makes me laugh how he was using words that I had never even used before. But it also amazes me how fast he picked up on how to read and how to form sentences when he was not even a year old. I could go on and on about Frankenstein, but my paper will be my "part two" to this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment