Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Great Gatsby


To be quite honest, I never have time to read anymore. So I try as much as I can to use previous novels that I have read. But it also takes a lot for me to remember a book that I read two years ago. The Great Gatsby will probably always be one of my favorite books. I'm not sure if it was because of the great English teacher I had sophomore year or if I just understand the story that much. What I like most about this book is that F.Scott Fitzgerald uses so many different motifs and symbols that make the story that much more fun to read. And at the end of the novel, all of those different literary techniques comes together to create the big "TA-DA" ending. My second favorite thing about this book is that the author creates an array of different characters to like and dislike. The antagonist and the protagonist (in my opinion) is more than one person, depending on the scene you are reading. Being able to relate these characters also helps a great deal in making a decision. Going back to the themes of this novel, the most important theme is the decline of the American dream during the 1920's. This theme is really what runs the entire story line of the book because you can literally just hear the American dream falling through the cracks as the novel goes on. Eventually the reader will notice that Fitzgerald has portrayed the 1920's era as a decaying social and moral values time period. But Gatsby is the opposite of all the decay and glum that the fall of the 1920's is heading to be. Jay Gatsby has lavish parties with as much booze and people he can get his hands on. You see, Jay does this all for the love of his life- Daisy. As usual, a lover is what is controlling the main character. The love between these two has always made me think that the 1920's still had a little bit of hope and it could be saved, just like Jay and Daisy's love. But of course, that 1% of the situation fails and Jays falls harder than the 1920's ever could. I really could go on and on about the Great Gatsby because it is such a well thought out book. This novel will always be a book that will remind me of love, hate, and passion and sophomore year.

No comments:

Post a Comment