Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Secret Agent


Okay, honesty hour. I am in the process of finishing this terrible book. I absolutely hate this book, and I rarely ever say that. Maybe it is just me, but this book just gives me a headache and I always end up confused. Mr. Conrad is very good at his use of diction and dragging on a thought inside of a character's head. What I don't like is that I can sometimes never figure out who is talking at some parts of the novel. For example, all of chapter seven was confusing. When the Assistant Commissioner and Sir Ethelred are having the in-depth talk, I was just completely lost all the time. Personally I think that every single one of the characters in this book is hiding something. I mean they all hate each other, even if they won't admit it sometimes. It reminds me of the show Survivor. When some of the people are trying to form alliances when really they all know that they are probably going to be the next one to go. Nobody in this novel can be trusted at all. And I guess this makes that I am thinking of all this about the book because it is about secret agents and undercover cops. But really, it can't be all this secretive. In a way, I sort of feel bad for Verloc. He doesn't know what he wants in life anymore and the only reason that he has not left his secret job is because he doesn't want to risk putting his family in danger which i think is a very noble thing to do. I know most of my classmates would probably disagree with me, but I stand behind my opinion about Verloc. The one character I cannot stand at all is Inspector Heat. He gets me so worked up and sometimes I wish that someone would just punch him right in the face. But then again, that probably wouldn't be a good idea since he could arrest you. Anyway, I will eventually give my full opinion on the novel when I finish it, until then...I leave you with my thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. "personally I think that every single one of the characters in this book is hiding something"
    I think you got it, whether you liked it or not.

    ReplyDelete