Monday, May 13, 2013

Gatsby, what Gatsby?

I know that I blogged about The Great Gatsby earlier in the year, but now that I have seen the movie it is practically all I can think about. For Mother's Day for my mom, my sister and I treated her to a movie. Of course, she chose The Great Gatsby and I was not going to object to seeing Leonardo DiCaprio. My biggest concern with the movie was that it was not going to be done right and that all of the motifs, symbols and themes would not be able to shine like they had in the book. But thankfully, I was wrong. Throughout the movie I was just having flashbacks to sophomore English class with Fio. And I hate to brag, but I rocked this book. For some reason I was just able to understand everything that F. Scott Fitzgerald wanted the reader to see about the 1920s. I always say that I was born in the wrong time and if I could be born any other time I would want to be dropped right into a party of Mr. Gatsbys'. This time period just amazes me, to be able to do whatever and say whatever and not have to worry about the consequences of the situation is what I wish I was able to do now in the time I live in. Being young and free is probably the biggest message that I got out of this book. Anyway, back to the movie. For one I really enjoyed how much the director focused on the green light and that he kept having Nick explain that the light symbolized Jay Gatsby's hope and his love of Daisy. All of the actors that portrayed the characters did an amazing job and for the most part, are what I thought they would act like in my head. For example, as much as I loved Daisy's character and how she was so innocent she annoyed me sometimes.  What that's how I felt in the book. She has this amazing guy, Gatsby, basically on his knees begging for her to love him and she won't leave her arrogant, pig-headed husband because she would rather have a secure life with him. However, George was not as how I had pictured him. Yes he was supposed to dirty and gross, but I was expecting a much younger man and maybe a bit more attractive? I don't know, I probably shouldn't keep judging people by their appearance. Overall I absolutely loved the movie because it brought the American dream alive again. It showed the struggle of races and the competition between new and old money. Whenever I really enjoy a book that has been turned into a movie I always sometimes wish that there would be a sequel. But for The Great Gatsby, I don't think there needs to be. Everything that needed to be said, was and that time period is nothing but a memory now.

No comments:

Post a Comment