Friday, May 10, 2013

The Dead Poets Society

My dad was watching The Dead Poets Society the other night and asked me to watch it with him. The title sounded stupid to me but I did not have anything else to do so I watched it with him. And oddly enough, I loved the movie. I loved everything that it stood for, knowing that all the boys backed up their friend and appreciated each other. I think that most people have seen or at least heard of this movie. The movie was filmed in 1989 and the set was a local school that is actually near my house. In the movie, a teacher- John Keatings- is assigned to a class to teach english.  Where he introduces all the boys to poetry and how to seize the day. This movie made the phrase "carpe diem" extremely popular. A group of friends form the group called the dead poets society and all write their names inside an old book of poetry. My reaction to the ending was just extremely sad because even though I believe in following your dreams, the one boy did not have to die to make that big of a statement. I actually cried a little bit because of seeing how everyone else reacted to his death. The scene I disliked the most was when Neil (the dead guy) had just died and his parents force an investigation to take place because they believe they had nothing at all to do with the suicide of Neil. One of the boys even suggests that the best thing to do is to have the teacher take the blame for everything that is happened that way he loses his job and they can stay in school. After the fallout of the society, english class resumes and is now being taught by the headmaster himself. When Mr. Keatings comes into class, Todd tries to explain what has happened and that they were forced into signing the petition that he was the cause of the club being formed. Nolan, the headmaster, flips out which leads the boys to recite a poem while standing on top of their desks. Mr. Keatings leaves the room touched that his boys got the message he was trying to teach them. Fun fact about this movie, my mom's cousin was an extra in the film. This movie taught me that nothing should be taken for granted such as a life of someone. And that no matter what, you should always stand up for what you believe in. Because in the end, nobody can ever take away what you believe and what you stand for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment